Our Distant Past
The church was first mentioned in the Tuckaseegee Association minutes in 1848, and a deed for the property on which Jonathan Creek Church was to be built was executed in November of that year. A log building situated in a beautiful grove of trees was erected, and Pastor John Haynes ministered to a 15 member congregation. Thirty-seven years later in 1885, a new wooden frame church building was constructed on US-19 across from the current Maggie Valley Inn. The above image is a picture of that wooden frame church building. In 1926, the name of the church was changed from Jonathan Creek Church to Dellwood Baptist Church.
Our Recent Past
In 1955, Dellwood Baptist Church was required to relocate due to the widening of US-19. Property on Dellwood Loop was purchased on which the old Dellwood Methodist Church stood. The structure was torn down and a new building was built. On November 1, 1955, the first service was held in the new brick building. In 1988, the members voted to purchase the current property at 115 Hall Drive. Construction on the current Dellwood Baptist Church began in November of 1991. On May 24, 1992, the fellowship hall was dedicated, and it was used as both a social gathering hall and temporary sanctuary. During the dedication service, a history of the church was placed inside the cornerstone of the fellowship hall. If the Lord tarries, it will be opened and read in the year 2042. On March 7, 1993, exactly one year after the first worship service was held in the new fellowship hall, a ground breaking service took place for the construction of the present sanctuary. On October 3, 1993, the first Homecoming was celebrated in the new sanctuary.
Many new ministries and activities have been added as the church family has grown. The church strives to fulfill its mission to faithfully preach the gospel and make disciples of Jesus Christ and to meet the needs of the congregation and community. The Child Enrichment Center (CEC) was organized to meet daycare needs of working parents. A youth worship center was built to meet the needs of the church youth. The Dellwood Kidz ministry began as an outreach to the children in the community and includes a meal, bible lesson and participation in craft and music activities. A bus ministry was started to bring local children to Dellwood Kidz and other church activities who otherwise would have no transportation. The seniors of the congregation meet monthly for activities and trips. The Mission and Evangelism teams continue to have an impact in the community. The newest ministry, EndStrong Ministry, shares gospel music and prophesy via television, radio, and speaking engagements. Yearly trips to Israel are organized through EndStrong Ministry. Services are currently taped and can be viewed on YouTube.
From one pastor and 15 members in 1848, to two pastors, 750 recorded members, and the baptism of 385 souls in the last 12 years, God continues to bless Dellwood Baptist Church as He advances His Kingdom. May He receive all the honor and glory.